2007年11月16日金曜日

Hard at Work



Here I am reporting from my local internet cafe once again. This time, from my own laptop, complete with apostrophe key. :) These past few days have pretty much felt like all work and no play for me. I suppose that's good for my first week. I have been mostly observing but and transitioning into teaching. Wednesday a taught a kids class of about 11 year olds. Let me tell, you, that might be the most annoying age. It was two girls, one of them refused to talk until her smart-ass friend got there who proceeded to make fun of just about everything I said. Megan says they are just like that, but they'll warm up to me. Yesterday I taught an advanced level class of adults that I think went really well. Today, I am teaching a tiny 2-3 year-old class and then an advanced beginner adult class. Tomorrow, I'm teaching EVERYTHING. 6 classes. It's gonna be intense, but I think I need it to really learn. I will be doing that everyday starting next week.

I have pictures of my apartment! I will try to load them now. I also plan to go back and add some pics to my previous entries. I plan on getting my cell phone today, but lord knows when I'll have internet at my place. Probably not for at least a month. Despite the fact that Japan is so technologically advanced in most areas, hooking up internet to a new residence is an extremely timely procedure with quite a wait list.

It's taking some getting used to living on my own for the first time. It's very peaceful and relaxing in some ways, but I have to admit I'm pretty restless and a little bit lonely. I think the fact that I currently have no connection with the outside world makes it much worse. I get home after a long day to my empty apartment with no phone and no internet and have nothing to do but organize things, listen to music, and go to bed. I know having a phone and internet will improve things drastically, but right now it's pretty dull. Next week I'm also hoping to get a gym membership. There's a new place right by my work that I'm going to check out (but I figure it's much better to have one of my Japanese co-workers come along, lest I sign up for something really dumb or basically make an ass of myself).

This internet place is also right by my work, so I'm able to come before or after work very easily. It's 24 hours and pretty pimp, playing jazz music with a free soda, coffee, and tea drink bar. With my own keyboard it's pretty nice and shouldn't be so bad for while I wait for my own internet.

Saturday is Megan's (the teacher I am replacing) sayonara party, which should be fun and break up the monotony a little. I hope everyone back home is doing well~!

3 件のコメント:

Brenda Hiatt さんのコメント...

Great pictures! Thanks so much for posting them. I like being able to "see" where you live. And it was fabulous iChatting with you just now!
Love, Mom :)

Clifton High Quality さんのコメント...

Yea...kids usually suck once they learn how to talk back!

Just kidding...kinda :-)

By the way...massive pad! I wasn't quite sure how big a standard tatami mat is (I've read they differ in size from region to region) but I never thought your apartment would be so big! I know it's not actually all that massive (esp. by super-sized American standards) but it seems cozy enough! Far bigger than the little room I had in London.

I'm glad you have a tele. Is it not working? You didn't mention it. Until you get your phone and internet situation sorted, at least you can watch some crazy Japanese tv. Exhibit a:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvOssIZyOtI

Yes, that IS a white throat monitor lizard (they eat small animals) trying to eat raw meat that is strapped onto teenage girls' heads. AWESOME. My kind of people...I think I'll love the place!

BethanyBarber さんのコメント...

Your apartment looks pretty sweet! I've been experiencing the adventure of living alone this year (since both my room mates have boyfriends and are NEVER here) and I hear you with the upside/downside thing. It's nice to be able to play whatever music I want and chillax... but it's lonely sometimes. I miss you like whoa and hope that I'll be able to figure out this newfangled ichat thing that mom is raving about.

p.s. my word verification code for this post is "hneyzeqp" Which is kind of like "hiney sex p." Thought you should know.