2007年11月2日金曜日

In the Air...

Yes, I've decided to attempt a blog again. No, I don't know if this one will last any longer than my first month in Japan, and, no-- I don't think anyone will actually read this. But if you happen to be doing so right now, fantastic! Welcome to the log of my second journey to Nippon and my adventures therein. This trip is vastly different than my first in the Spring of 2006 in a few ways, which I will list with convenient, organizational bullet points:

-I am no longer a student and will therefore not be attending university or taking Japanese classes (though I need them).
-I have a real-life-salary-paying-full-time-job this time around and probably won't have as many opportunities to dick around and miss the last train.
-I have to pay my own bills.
-I kiiiiinda know what to expect... but if I've learned anything it's that I still know very little about this crazy and surprise-filled nation of Japan.
-I will be staying longer than a year without return to my motherland, UHMERICA.
-I will be wearing a suit most of the time.

That about sums up all I can think of right now. Speaking of right now, I'm currently en route to Japan somewhere over Alaska. According to the screen in front of me, altitude is 34,000 feet and it is -74 degrees Fahrenheit outside. brrrr. I still have about 7 and a half hours left of my 13.5 hour flight. We were delayed out of Chicago by about an hour and a half. This worries me a bit because we are supposed to be arriving in Japan no later than 4pm (Friday, Nov. 2) local time and my flight as originally scheduled was coming in after that around 4:25. I was told this was okay, but now we aren't predicted to arrive until 5:40 pm or so. So, I will be rolling in last undoubtedly creating a stellar first impression to the Aeon representative meeting me there. I realize the delay isn't my fault, I just hope it doesn't cause any unforeseen complications.

After going through immigration and customs, getting my bags, and meeting the Aeon person, I have a 2 hour trip to Omiya, where I will be spending the next week in training. Omiya is about 20 or 30 minutes outside of Tokyo, and from what I hear, not much to boast about. I don't know if I'll have internet there or not, so I'm not even sure when I'll be able to post this. Or how, for that matter... but these are insignificant details which I'm sure I will work out promptly!

I should probably mention that I'm super excited to be in Japan again. I've been waiting for this for a long time and the more I think about it, the more excited I get... I'm not even IN Japan yet and get a load of all the neat things I've seen (bullet points again, I think?!):

-"Air Force 2," Which Dick Cheney arrived in Indianapolis in this morning, delaying my plane from landing.
-A really long, disco-like moving walkway treadmill deal in O'Hare that I'm pretty positive is where the video for Fiest's "My Moon, My Man" video was shot.
- Beautiful snow covered mountains under a pink sky in Alaska.
-The Sea of Okhotsk. Which we are currently flying over and I never even knew existed until today.

I also made friends with a young couple in the airport and got to use my "conversational" Japanese for the first time in a while. It was atrocious. I really hope it comes back to me quickly. I accidentally said I had an older brother instead of an older sister (ani vs. ane). I realized my mistake but decided to just roll with it. Sorry, Beth. The young woman replied "I bet he's really cute!" I simply replied "not at all."

If you are reading this, I probably already miss you a ton.



**ADDED NOTE: As I set up this blog from the training center, it is only available for set up in Japanese! I guess this means I will have a Japanese blog with a Japanese URL from here on out. Appropriate, I suppose :) but tricky...

7 件のコメント:

Brenda Hiatt さんのコメント...

Yay for your blog, Dawnie! If you can't figure out how to set things up in English here, you can always try Wordpress, where Beth and I have our blog. I'm SO pleased to hear from you, and that you got there okay and with minimal snags!
Love, Mom :)

BethanyBarber さんのコメント...

So I'm your unattractive brother now? Thanks. Actually, I laughed so hard when I read that I was in danger of shooting hot tea out of my nose. I can't tell if this is the only post and I only got to here by sheer luck, but it's wonderful to hear from you! We should schedule regular Skype dates or something once you have a better idea of what your schedule looks like... Love you!

Clifton High Quality さんのコメント...

dawnzilla arrives!

I'm so glad that you have internet access and have already set up a blog!

I laughed so hard when I read that Beth is your unattractive brother that my office neighbor came over to see what the heck I was cracking up about!

It's good to hear from you. Keep the blog posts coming!

Dawnzilla さんのコメント...

YAY! I have friends!!! Thanks for reading my blog. Yeah, sorry you had to be my ugly older bro. I just had to save some face. Someone from Dad's work emailed me and said you had to have a google account to post comments here? Is that right? If so, I'll definitely switch to another thing. I don't know if it'll just give me the Japanese version of Wordpress if I try it or not. That's what happened when I went to blogspot. It just automatically redirected me to the Japanese one and wouldn't let me get to the other one. We'll see!

It's 7:00am local time and I start training pretty soon. Might go get a walk in first and explore Omiya some if I can. There is a big cat outside prowling around. And that is that. Love you all!

** Just so you know in the comment box, the blue button below on the right says "Preview" and the orange one on the left is to publish the comment. But it looks like you guys already have that all figured out!

Brenda Hiatt さんのコメント...

The preview and publish buttons are in English, at least on my screen. Actually, everything on the comment screen is in English. I just had to guess that the Japanese link below your original post was for comments. Have a wonderful first day there!
Love, Mom :)

Namsom さんのコメント...

DAWNN~!!! i miss you soooo much!! i cant wait until i am in Japan and i can see you again ^^ i hope everything goes reallly well for you >< anywho take care and keep updating if you have time~^_^byebye

Unknown さんのコメント...

Dawn
Really enjoy your blogs and it is so neat to hear how you are doing. Later on these will serve as a great journal for you. Dee and I spent the long weekend on the boat. We went with the Swartzmiller and had a wonderful time. We only went up near Charleston but did a good bit of exploring on the North and South Edisto rivers and the creeks therein. We fly to Reno on Tues. to visit Dee's youngest son Jason and family. Lots of Love Pop and Dee